Vinnytsya National Medical University
VNMU began as Vinnitsa Pharmaceutical Institute in the year 1921.
It later became Vinnitsa branch of All-Ukrainian Institute of Extra-Mural Medical Education in 1930 later and reorganized in the year 1932 as Evening Industrial Medical Institute with two faculties – medical-preventive and pediatric . In 1934 it was once again reorganized as Vinnytsia Medical Institute.
The Institute was named after N.I. Pirogov. In 1984 the Institute was awarded the "Badge of Honour" for the success in training doctors and assistance for public health sectors. By 1988, VNMU elected V.M.Moroz as rector. At that time he was an honored scientist and technologist of Ukraine, a doctor of medical sciences and a professor in Vinnitsa Medical Institute. In 2003 V.M.Moroz was awarded the title Hero of Ukraine.
In 1994 the faculty of Dentistry was organized and Vinnitsa Medical Institute was accredited the highest level of accreditation by Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (Level IV). The Institute was re-named to Vinnitsa State Pirogov Memorial Medical University.
VNMU was awarded the status of National University by Decree of the President of Ukraine, Mr. L.D. Kuchma, in 2002
At present, contingent of university's students is as follows (including International students): students - 6560 (including - 1030 part-time training), interns – 2149 (during 2012), MSc. course PG students - 63, post-graduate students – 110, PG students for doctor's degree - 1, clinical residents – 103, Faculty of Postgraduate Studies students - 2568 (during 2012).
University's structural divisions:
- 6 faculties with 55 departments (39 clinical departments, 16 - theoretical), preparatory courses;
- Center of new information technologies (computer classrooms, TV studio, printing house, office for computer printing, Internet unit);
- Scientific research centers comprising of 7 research laboratories and experimental clinics
The name of Vinnytsia (also known as Vinnitsa) appeared for the first time in 1363. It is assumed that the name was derived from the old Salvic word "Vino", which meant "given as a gift."
Vinnitsa is the center of the Vinnitsa region, a city with rich traditions and history. It is located on the crossroads of economic, social, geopolitical meridians of Ukraine. Vinnytsia is located about 260 km (160 mi) southwest of the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, 429 km (267 mi) north-northwest of the Black Sea port city of Odessa, and 369 km (229 mi) east of Lviv.
The city is connected by the railways and air paths to the western Europe and other countries.
A long lasting warm summer and a comparatively short winter is characteristic of Vinnitsa. The average temperature in January is −5.8 °C (21.6 °F) and 18.3 °C (64.9 °F) .
Vinnitsa is known as student's city of Ukraine. It is proud has a proud heritage of outstanding educational institutions as: Vinnitsa Technical University, Pedagogical University, Trade Economic University, Agricultural University etc.
(Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnytsia)
There are two health and sports complexes for 200 people.
The total area of their premises is 1172 sq.m. sanatorium for 50 persons, medical units, gym, stadium and sports areas, dormitories of the University with a design capacity of 3161 beds and one dormitory for faculty of postgraduate education,
5 buffets and student cafes, 4 canteens, which provide the standards necessary for public catering establishments.
The teaching staff consists of approximately eight hundred and twelve professionals. Course training is carried out at fifty departments, with competent scientific-pedagogical staff of one hundred and twenty doctors of science including seventy five professors, seventeen academicians, and five members/correspondents of Academies of Science.
Seven lecturers were given honorary titles of the "Honoured Scientist and Technologist of Ukraine", and many of its research workers are laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine.